Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting involved

Yesterday I went campaigning for the LibDems - the first time I have ever got actively engaged in politics and I must confess it was great fun asking what issues are of concern to people and how our policies can help them. It means empathising and thinking on one's feet and trying to persuade people without hectoring.
I had one case where the woman answered the door and said she had always voted Labour but was angry about Iraq, etc and was voting Tory. I told her I had stopped voting Labour for the same reasons, but felt the LibDems were now the party that represented left of centre values.
At this point, her husband came to the door and said he and two of their chidren agreed with me. I felt I had to say I did not want to cause any domestic discord - at which point she said they had far more reasons for that than politics! I withdrew saying we valued every vote and respected other viewpoints!!
Another young woman answered the door and said she was not interested in politics so was voting Labour. You meet all sorts. This could be addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment